1 FAM 160
BUREAU OF NEAR EASTERN AFFAIRS (NEA)
(Office of Origin: NEA-SCA/EX)
1 FAM 161 ASSISTANT SECRETARY FOR NEAR EASTERN AFFAIRS (NEA)
The Assistant Secretary for Near Eastern Affairs (NEA) reports directly to the Under Secretary for Political Affairs (P) (see 1 FAM 112) and has substantive and coordinating responsibility for 1 FAM 160—Bureau of Near Eastern Affairs (NEA).
1 FAM 161.1 Organization
An organizational chart of the Bureau of Near Eastern Affairs (NEA) is found in 1 FAM Exhibit 161.1.
1 FAM 161.2 Authorities
a. Basic authority for the Bureau of Near Eastern Affairs derives from 22 U.S.C. 2651a and 22 U.S.C. 2656, which are the general authorities of the Secretary of State for managing the Department and conducting foreign relations.
b. Foreign Relations Authorization Act of 1992 (Public Law 102-138).
c. Public Law 97-132 (22 U.S.C. 3401 note, 22 U.S.C. 3421 et seq.), pursuant to a Protocol of August 3, 1981 between Egypt and Israel, created the Multinational Force and Observers (MFO).
d. Foreign Assistance Act of 1961, as amended (22 U.S.C. 2389), as cited in Public Law 97-132, provides for the status of U.S. personnel assigned to the MFO.
e. Other authorities, as appropriate.
1 FAM 162 DEPUTY ASSISTANT SECRETARIES
See 1 FAM 113.
1 FAM 163 EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR (NEA-ScA/EX)
See 1 FAM 116.
1 FAM 164 STAFF ASSISTANT
See 1 FAM 117.
1 FAM 165 SPECIAL ADVISER
See 1 FAM 118.
1 FAM 166 OFFICE DIRECTORS
See 1 FAM 114.
1 FAM 166.1 Director for Levant Affairs (NEA/LEV)
The Director for Levant Affairs (NEA/LEV) is responsible for the countries of:
(2) Lebanon; and
1 FAM 166.2 Director for Maghreb Affairs (NEA/MAG)
The Director for Maghreb Affairs (NEA/MAG) is responsible for the countries of:
(3) Morocco; and
1 FAM 166.3 Director for Arabian Peninsula Affairs (NEA/ARP)
The Director for Arabian Peninsula Affairs (NEA/ARP) is responsible for the countries of:
(5) Saudi Arabia;
(6) United Arab Emirates; and
1 FAM 166.4 Director for Israel and Palestinian Affairs (NEA/IPA)
The Director for Israel and Palestinian Affairs (NEA/IPA) is responsible for Israel and Palestinian affairs.
1 FAM 166.5 Director for Iraqi Affairs (NEA/I)
The Director for Iraqi Affairs (NEA/I) is responsible for the offices of Economic and Assistance Affairs; Political Affairs; Political-Military Affairs; and Provincial Reconstruction Transition and Stabilization Affairs.
1 FAM 166.6 Director for Iranian Affairs (NEA/IR)
The Director for Iranian Affairs (NEA/IR) is responsible for the Office of Iranian Affairs and the Department’s global network of Iran Watchers.
1 FAM 166.7 Director for Regional and Multilateral Affairs (NEA/RMA)
a. The Director for Regional and Multilateral Affairs (NEA/RMA) exercises responsibility on behalf of the bureau on issues affecting the region as a whole or cutting across the lines of responsibility of the various office directors, and provides specialized functional support to other elements of the bureau in the following fields:
(1) Regional political issues, including democratic transitions and governance;
(2) Regional economic issues;
(3) Political-military affairs;
(4) Multilateral organizations;
(5) Labor and social affairs;
(6) Foreign assistance budget planning, coordination, and execution;
(7) Strategic planning;
(8) Commercial coordination;
(11) Legislative matters;
(15) Human rights; and
b. NEA/RMA acts as the focal point within the Executive branch to coordinate support activities for the Multinational Force and Observers (MFO) organization established to assist in the implementation of the Treaty of Peace between Egypt and Israel signed on March 26, 1979.
1 FAM 166.8 Director for Egyptian Affairs (NEA/EGY)
The Director for Egyptian Affairs (NEA/EGY) is responsible for Egyptian affairs.
1 FAM 166.9 Office of Press and Public Diplomacy (NEA/PPD)
The Office of Press and Public Diplomacy (NEA/PPD) is responsible for:
(1) Press and public affairs responsibilities on behalf of the Assistant Secretary and the bureau;
(2) Education and cultural affairs;
(3) Coordination of public diplomacy activities in the NEA region;
(4) Acting as a focal point within the bureau for the Office of the Under Secretary for Public Diplomacy and Public Affairs (R) and its constituent bureaus and activities: Education and Cultural Affairs (ECA); Public Affairs (PA); International Information Programs (IIP) and the Center for Strategic Counterterrorism Cooperation (CSCC); and
(5) NEA’s Countering Violent Extremism (CVE) strategy, programs, and policy.
1 FAM 166.10 Office of Near Eastern Affairs Assistance Coordination (NEA/AC)
a. The Office of Near Eastern Affairs Assistance Coordination is responsible for:
(1) Developing and implementing a coherent and comprehensive assistance policy and ensuring assistance programs support State Department and Administration priorities and policies for the region;
(2) Managing the implementation of foreign assistance funds provided to the bureau; and
(3) Serving as NEA’s lead office in areas such as assistance policy, grants management, project monitoring and evaluation, budget preparation, sector programming, and development issues.
b. The Office consists of six divisions:
(1) Planning, Budgeting, and Evaluation;
(2) Grants Management;
(3) Iran, Lebanon, Jordan, and Iraq;
(4) Maghreb, Israel, Palestinian Territories, Egypt, and Arabian Peninsula;
(5) Regional Programming; and
(6) Syria Coordination.
1 FAM 167 THROUGH 169 UNASSIGNED
1 FAM EXHIBIT 161.1
BUREAU OF NEAR EASTERN AFFAIRS (NEA)