1 FAM 170
BUREAU OF SOUTH and central ASIAN AFFAIRS (ScA)
(Office of Origin: NEA/SCA/EX)
1 FAM 171 ASSISTANT SECRETARY FOR SOUTH and central ASIAN AFFAIRS
The Assistant Secretary for South and Central Asian Affairs:
(1) Reports directly to the Under Secretary for Political Affairs (P) (see 1 FAM 112); and
(2) Has substantive and coordinating responsibility for 1 FAM 170; Bureau of South and Central Asian Affairs (SCA).
1 FAM 171.1 Organization
An organization chart of SCA is found as 1 FAM Exhibit 171.1.
1 FAM 171.2 Authorities
a. The position of Assistant Secretary for South Asian Affairs (SA) was created pursuant to Section 122 of the Foreign Relations Authorization Act Fiscal Years 1992 and 1993 (Public Law 102-138). In late 2005, the Bureau of South and Central Asian Affairs (SCA) was established.
b. The Bureau of South and Central Asian Affairs derives its basic authority from:
(1) 22 U.S.C. sections 2651a and 2656, which are the general authorities of the Secretary of State for managing the Department and conducting foreign relations; and
(2) From other authorities, as appropriate.
1 FAM 172 DEPUTY ASSISTANT SECRETARY
See 1 FAM 113.
1 FAM 173 EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR (NEA-SCA/EX)
See 1 FAM 116.
1 FAM 174 STAFF ASSISTANTS
See 1 FAM 117.
1 FAM 175 OFFICE DIRECTORS
See 1 FAM 114.
1 FAM 175.1 Director for Nepal, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Bhutan, and Maldives Affairs (SCA/NSB)
The Director for SCA/NSB is responsible for the countries of:
(2) Sri Lanka;
(4) Bhutan; and
1 FAM 175.2 Director of India Affairs (SCA/I)
The Director for SCA/I is responsible for the country of India.
1 FAM 175.3 Director for Pakistan Affairs (SCA/P)
The Director for SCA/P is responsible for the country of Pakistan.
1 FAM 175.4 Director for Central Asian Affairs (SCA/CEN)
The Director for SCA/CEN is responsible for the countries of:
(4) Kyrgyzstan; and
1 FAM 175.5 Director for Regional Affairs (SCA/RA)
a. The Director for SCA/RA is responsible for:
(1) Exercising responsibility on behalf of the Bureau on issues affecting the region as a whole, or cutting across the lines of responsibility of the various country directors;
(2) Provides specialized functional support to other elements of the Bureau in the following fields:
(c) Weapons proliferation;
(d) Multilateral organizations;
(e) Labor, gender, and social affairs;
(i) Human rights;
(l) Commercial coordination;
(o) Foreign Assistance; and
(p) Legislative matters.
1 FAM 175.6 Office of Press and Public Diplomacy (SCA/PPD)
SCA/PPD is responsible for:
(1) Press and public affairs activities on behalf of the Assistant Secretary and the Bureau;
(2) Coordination of public diplomacy activities in the SCA region;
(3) Functional support for educational and cultural affairs; and
(4) Coordination of Bureau public outreach, including two universities, think tanks, Diaspora groups, and other organizations.
1 FAM 175.7 Director for Afghanistan (SCA/A)
The Director SCA/A is responsible for the country of Afghanistan.
1 FAM 176 through 179 UNASSIGNED
1 FAM EXHIBIT 171.1
BUREAU OF SOUTH AND CENTRAL ASIAN AFFAIRS (SCA)