2 FAM 1420
INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATIONS IMMUNITIES
(Office of Origin: L/DL)
2 FAM 1421 RESPONSIBILITY OF THE DEPARTMENT OF STATE
The Department of State has been designated as the agency to receive applications for the granting of privileges, exemptions, and immunities under the International Organization Immunities Act (IOIA), 22 U.S.C. 288 et seq. The Secretary of State has been authorized to:
· Determine the information needed from organizations applying for designation under the IOIA and to require its submission; and
· Recommend to the President whether applicant organizations should be designated by Executive Order as public international organizations entitled to enjoy the privileges, exemptions, and immunities conferred by the IOIA.
2 FAM 1422 PROCESSING OF APPLICATIONS FOR IMMUNITIES
2 FAM 1422.1 Review of Applications
The Office of the Legal Adviser (L), in conjunction with the Bureau of International Organizations Affairs (IO), shall:
· Review all applications of international organizations desiring privileges, exemptions, and immunities to assess whether they satisfy the announced requirements for consideration by the Department; and
· Evaluate the eligibility of international organizations for such benefits.
2 FAM 1422.2 Drafting of Executive Orders
The Office of the Legal Adviser drafts the necessary Executive Orders and submits recommendations to the Secretary or the Secretary’s designee for approval. If approved, the Office of the Legal Adviser transmits such draft orders to the Office of Management and Budget for transmittal to the President. The Office of the Legal Adviser submits one copy of each proposed Executive Order to the Office of the Chief of Protocol.
2 FAM 1423 INFORMATION AND LIAISON
a. The Office of Protocol maintains the records of individuals accorded privileges, exemptions, and immunities pursuant to the IOIA.
b. The Bureau of International Organization Affairs:
· Maintains complete records of international organizations accorded privileges, exemptions, and immunities pursuant to the provisions of the IOIA;
· Serves as the center of information and services for the administration of the Act; and
· Serves as liaison with other Federal agencies concerned with the execution of the Act.
2 FAM 1424 THROUGH 1429 UNASSIGNED